Call Us Anytime! Toll Free: 1-877-523-1958

Gambling Reclamation FAQ’s

I recently won money in the U.S. and they withheld tax, can I get that back now?

You need to wait until the following calendar year to apply for your refund.

For example: if you had money withheld in May 2018 you will have to wait until January 2019 to file; however, we can get the proper paperwork underway to make the process as timely as possible. We can also begin the process to obtain your ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) issued by the U.S. government.

How long does the process take?

For individuals, without an ITIN number, the process usually takes between 12 to 20 weeks. For those with a number, processing time is often 8 weeks.

How many years can I go back and still recover money withheld?

Filing before June 15 allows for the recovery of Casino Tax withheld for the current tax year and the 3 previous years. Filing after June 15 you can recover for the current tax year and the previous 2 years.

Can only Canadians recover this tax? Can I get my money back if I am from another country?

You are eligible if you are a non-US resident. You must also be able to prove that you were a non-resident of the US at the time of your win. There are other treaty countries that qualify. Feel free to call us and we will let you know if you are entitled to recover the funds deducted from your win. 1-877-523-1958.

After I’ve won, how much time do I have to obtain a refund?

Most of our Clients make their claim within days of returning to Canada. We make sure you have your ITIN. If you have won in the current year, refunds can not be claimed until the beginning of the following taxation year.

What Documents do I need in order to make a Claim?

Call us to discuss what documentation is required to apply.

How do know my Documents will be safe in your possession?

We normally only required certified copies of official documentation. No originals are required.

How do I get my documents to you?

We use old the old fashioned postal service via Canada Post.  We send you prepaid return envelopes with every piece of correspondence.

Can I apply my losses to help reduce the taxation on winnings?

Canada has a treaty with the United States from 1996 whereby specific gaming losses can be applied against winnings to reduce or eliminate taxes on gambling winnings. The IRS expects losses to be substantiated by proper record-keeping and acceptable receipts. We can help you prepare BEFORE you go to play.

What other kinds of gambling wins are taxed? Can you help me get my money back?

Yes! We handle all taxable gaming activities in the U.S. such as wins in casinos on slot machines, gaming tournaments (like Blackjack and Poker), dog/horse wagering, sports wagering, Keno, and game show wins.

Is this income taxable in Canada?

For non-professional gamblers, gambling income is not subject to tax in Canada.

Are my refunds sent to you, and then you pay me – or do I get my return Direct?

Refunds are sent to you via post direct from the IRS.

In what Currency are your Refunds paid?

Refunds are paid to you, by check/cheque, in U.S. Dollars.

How does Freid Tax Services get Paid?

Once you receive your refund you notify us and we send you an invoice. We are partners in your success.

How much does Freid Tax Services charge?

We charge $150 for a return with one win slip (1042-s).  If you require an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) we charge a one time $50.00 fee to help you obtain this.

Call Us for FREE Friendly Advice!

Toll Free: 1-877-523-1958 or fill in our contact form